The quickest and easiest way to claim Seafarers’ Allowance is using our online service.
The vast majority of people who claim this relief online receive their tax refund, where it is due, within a few working days.

In Ireland, whether you’re considered a resident depends on how much time you spend here. If you’re in the country for 183 days or more in a year (from January 1st to December 31st), you’re a resident by the ‘183 day rule.’ Another way is the ‘280 day rule,’ where being in Ireland for 280 days or more across the current and previous tax years makes you a resident. If you stay for 30 days or less in a tax year, that time doesn’t count for the ‘280 day rule.’ And just so you know, even part of a day in Ireland is counted toward these rules.

Resident Seafarer:

  • 1
    Pays tax in Ireland
  • 2
    Spends over 161 days at sea
  • 3
    Has an Irish address
  • 4
    Is in the country over 140 days per year on average

Non-Resident Seafarer

  • 1
    Doesn’t pay taxes in Ireland
  • 2
    Spends 139 days or less in Ireland
  • 3
    Works for a foreign organisation
  • 4
    Performs services outside of Ireland
  • 5
    Is paid from a foreign paypoint

Why Irish Seafarers Need To File A Tax Return

1. Compliance With Legal Obligations:

Filing a tax return ensures you comply with Irish tax laws, helping you avoid potential penalties and fines.

2. Mortgage And Loan Applications:

Financial institutions often require accurate tax returns when you’re applying for a mortgage or loan. They serve as proof of income and financial stability.

3. Claiming Tax Refunds Or Credits:

You may be entitled to certain tax deductions and refunds specific to seafarers. Filing your tax return allows you to claim these benefits.

4. Keeping Financial Records Straight:

Regular filing helps keep your financial records in order, making it easier to plan for the future and manage your finances effectively.

5. Establishing Financial History:

Consistently filed tax returns create a clear financial history, which can benefit future business or personal investments.

Essential Records For Irish Seafarers’ Tax Returns

As a seafarer, keeping comprehensive records is crucial for a smooth tax process and ensuring you take full advantage of potential tax reliefs and refunds.
Here’s a list of the essential documents and records you should maintain:

  • Passport: Verifies your identity and travel history.

  • Payslips: Provide proof of your income and any tax already paid, which is essential for accurate tax return filing.

  • Contracts of Work: Detail your employment terms, duration, and nature of work.

  • Diary: A personal log can be invaluable, especially for tracking your days spent at sea, work activities, and any incidental expenses.

  • Receipts: Crucial for claiming deductions on work-related expenses. Ensure you keep receipts for any expenditure directly related to your job.

  • Foreign Addresses: If you’ve stayed or worked abroad, maintaining records of your foreign addresses helps determine your residency status for tax purposes.

  • Foreign Pay Point: Documentation or details regarding where your salary is paid from can be necessary, especially if you’re dealing with international income.

  • Foreign Employer: Keep records of any foreign employer details, as this can affect your tax situation, especially concerning international agreements and double taxation.

  • Foreign Bank Account: Details of any foreign bank accounts where your income is deposited may be necessary for a complete financial disclosure.

  • Bad Weather Days: Records of days you couldn’t work due to bad weather that can sometimes impact your tax filings, depending on specific tax relief conditions.

  • Holidays: We advise you to keep track of your holiday days, especially if your tax status is impacted by the number of days you spend in or out of a country.

Navigating the Seafarer Tax can be complex, but you don’t have to do it alone. At Irish Seafarers Tax, we provide expert tax advice and services tailored to your circumstances to ensure your peace of mind.

Take the first step by contacting us to file a return.